Designed for talented singers who are considering college-level studies in classical voice, or who are currently studying vocal performance as college undergraduates, this program provides the unique opportunity to:
- study privately with renowned Curtis Institute of Music vocal studies department faculty;
- benefit from master classes;
- perform for peers at the Sing-In and in a master class, and for family and friends at the Sing-Out;
- gain access to personal practice studios with Steinway pianos; and
- learn from professionals working in the opera field.
Delve deeply into your repertoire, with the space to follow your curiosity and honor the music fully. Singers in the program are largely self-directed, coming together as a group midday for master class. Participants live, share meals, and discover their passion in Curtis’s historic main building and the beautiful Lenfest Hall.
Hear Mr. Eliasen and Ms. Malas talk about the Young Artist Voice Program.
• two 45 minute private voice lessons; one from each voice faculty member: Marlena Malas and Julia Faulkner, voice faculties at Curtis Institute of Music.
• six 45 minute private coachings; two from each of the three vocal coaches, including Mikael Eliasen, artistic director of the Curtis Opera Theatre and Hirsig Family Dean of Vocal Studies at Curtis Institute of Music; Danielle Orlando, principal opera coach at Curtis; and Miloš Repický, opera coach at Curtis.
Participants should be prepared to sing in the master class on any given day.
- Application Fee: $65 / $125*
- Tuition: $2,920
- Housing and Dining: $1,617
*Application fee: $65 before January 31, 2017 at 11:59 a.m. EST; $125 (January 31–March 31).
Applications close Friday, March 31, 2017 at 11:59 a.m. EST.
|Morning||Sing-In||Private Coaching (45 min)||Voice lesson (45 min)/Practice time||Practice time|
|Afternoon||Private Coaching (45 min)||Master Class||Master Class||Master Class|
|Practice time||Practice time||Practice time||Residential excursion|
|Evening||Panel discussion||Film viewing of Curtis Opera Theatre|
Check-in: Sunday, June 18 between 3—6 p.m.
Check-out: Saturday, July 1 at 5 p.m.
Schedule is subject to change.
If you wish to be considered for financial assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a simple financial assistance application. You will be required to upload this completed PDF document during the application process.
Students and parents are urged to seek financial assistance from local sources such as school music organizations; county, state, or national music education organizations; youth orchestras and bands; music clubs service clubs (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.); businesses; churches; and foundations.
The Mario Lanza Institute offers a scholarship for young singers, aged 21 and up. Scholarship winners are encouraged to use funds for further study, including educational programs such as the Young Artist Voice Program. The Mario Lanza Scholarship Auditions occur before the Young Artist Voice Program application deadlines. Therefore, we encourage you to apply for the scholarship in advance, so that any scholarship funds could support your attendance to the Young Artist Voice Program, should you be accepted for the 2017 summer. Visit their website for more information.