Composition majors learn from daily seminar classes, weekly lessons, and collaborations with instrumental teachers. The course offers participants a performance and recording of their work played by faculty, alumni, and current students from Curtis. The elements of the composition curriculum include:
- Daily seminar class featuring discussions about the past and future of composition; advice from performers about how to write for their instruments; and conversations about commissions, competitions, publishing, and other issues composers face today.
- Private lessons weekly, with the opportunity to hear your works in progress.
- A performance and recording of one of your works by Curtis musicians-unique to this program.
Composers ages 14 to 22 are welcome to apply.
Composition students participate in the all-program choir. Composition students will not be assigned to chamber ensembles or four-hand duos.
Composition students who play orchestral instruments at a proficient level are encouraged to participate as a member of the orchestra when opportunities are available.
Read about the short percussion assignment for composers at the Young Artist Summer Program 2015.
Program Cost 2016
- Application Fee: $65 / $125*
- Tuition: $3,270
- Housing and Dining: $2,380
- Commuter Meal Plan: $700
*Application fee: $65 before 11:59 a.m. EST on January 29, 2016; $125 (January 29–April 29).
Applications close Friday, April 29, 2016 at 11:59 a.m. EST.
|Morning||Choir Rehearsal||Sound Check||Individual Composing Time|
|Lesson/Individual Composing Time||Warm-up||Individual Composing Time|
|Afternoon||Composition Seminar||Master Class||Free Time: Excursion|
|Lesson/Orchestra Sectionals||Student Recital||Free Time: Excursion|
|Theory Class||Warm-up||Free Time: Excursion|
||Orchestra Rehearsal||Student Recital||Score Study for Orchestra|
Check-in: Sunday, July 17 between 3—6 p.m. Mandatory Orientation: Sunday, July 17 from 6—9 p.m.
Check-out: Saturday, August 6 at 5 p.m.
*Schedule is subject to change.
Visit this blog post to see an example of past participant’s fundraising.